As a contractor in public works construction, M.W. McCombs Sr. had construction equipment that he hauled from job to job in the southeastern United States. He then leased this equipment to the government during WWII and began making heavy equipment hauling trailers which led to his FIFTH WHEEL PATENT. This device allows a tractor powered PTO winch cable powered from the truck engine to pass through the fifth wheel and pull equipment on to the trailer.
His second patent was a refuse compactor and hauler. The refuse is compacted as it is collected and pushed from the trailer in a compacted bale-type shape into the land fill. The same principle is used today.
M.W. “Bill” McCombs Jr. served in General Patton’s Third Army as a 2nd Lieutenant commanding a howitzer gun crew in WWII. After the war, he graduated from the Citadel with a civil engineering degree and joined M.W. McCombs Sr. in 1954 to form McCombs Company.
He then began the structural and miscellaneous fabrication, service center, and erection business that is what McCombs Steel prides itself on today. The company owes much of its success to Bill and Betty McCombs, whose reputation for hard work, quality, honesty, and integrity is a vital component and driving force behind the steel fabricators.